Be the Leader in Your Community
Here are suggestions about how to create a Luminary Initiative event in your community:
- Make a commitment to establish a Luminary Initiative lighting event within your organization or community. Put it in writing and select one member to lead the organization in your efforts.
- Involve your local civic leaders and try to have a citywide promotion of the Luminary Initiative.
- Pick a location, such as a park, and time for the luminary lighting.
- Spread the word through traditional media and social media resources. Create awareness of your event.
- If no event is possible, encourage neighborhoods to light luminaries in front yards, driveways or on front porches.
- If possible, invite any Gold Star family members in your community to attend, or alert them to the activities you have planned in their honor.
- Join the Luminary Initiative group on Marine Family Network to connect and share with others who are participating around the country.